-->

2.13.2012

Death

At the commencement of the new year, a special memorial was laid out for the 26 resident we lost last year. As I walked down the table of familiar & well-loved faces, I couldn't help but think of my own death. Up until not too long ago, I could honestly say I was afraid. Despite the knowledge I had of the Plan of Salvation,  I feared temporal death.



Perhaps it was because I had never actually witnessed the denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance stages I had only read in textbooks.

Perhaps it was because I had never seen someone at their death bed wither in excruciating pain.

I had never held their hand at their bedside as they died.

I had never experienced the love permeating the walls of that room,

And had never walked out of a room with the knowledge that death is beautiful.


As beautiful as the sun rises in the east, its setting won't fail to take your breath away.
I am grateful for the knowledge that after I die, I will celebrate with my dear family & friends;
& I look forward to the day I will be reunited with my Savior, whose love permeates my heart daily;
To be reunited with my Maker, and my shoulder to cry on.

“As we humbly submit our will to the Lord’s, we find that our weaknesses can indeed become sources of strength if we put our trust in Him.”
—Anne C. Pingree, “Making Weak Things Become Strong,” Ensign, Dec. 2004, 30
When I grow up, I want to be a hospice nurse.

2 comments:

  1. beautiful!! I've heard a quote somewhere that says something to the effect of "why do we rejoice at births and cry at deaths. We should cry when a child is born into a world full of sorrow and suffereing and rejoice at death when they get to return to their heavenly home full of people who love them."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post Nikki. That is so awesome you want to be a hospice nurse. You are probably an amazing nurse. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete